PEZsnyak

I LOVE MY RABBI! I'm not Jewish... but my Rabbi is!

My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, United States

I LOVE my Rabbi!

Monday, April 18, 2005

Whatever Happened To...

Whatever happened to the days when Libraries were quiet. When speaking above a hushed whisper was strictly forbidden. I remember when I was in elementary school, Mrs. Wetwringer, I think that was her name, would keep her Library as quiet as a Catholic church on Monday morning. The Fayetteville Library, in Fayetteville New York, it's pretty whist by today standards, not that quiet but it still has that "you shouldn't talk a lot" feel to it.

This library I go to now, it is like a zoo, only not as much fun, because there aren't any animal or firearms. There are always people talking and yelling, babies crying, children whining, some weird guy that doesn't think his keyboard will work unless he's hitting it as hard as he can making one heck of a racket! And of course, cell phones; ringing all the time and the people just answer them, and talk like their at home! Their solution... a quiet reading room! A library isn't supposed to have a quiet reading room, it's supposed to be a quiet reading room. A library is a sanctuary for those of us who like to improve their minds through reading; a resource for those of us who want to expand our references, a research center or even a quiet place to go and do homework.

This is what they should do... They should take all the cell phones, computers, babies and kids put all of them in the "quiet reading room" and give back to those of us which is ours; a silent, serene place, fill with as much a sense of near holiness as it is books. This is the way libraries were meant to operate. So the next time you are at the library, please, turn off your cell phone, treat your computer with respect, and if your kid starts acting up, please, for the courtesy of all man kind, go outside, or at least into the bathroom or something!

Thank you for reading,
Scott.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sergeant Uriel Ventris said...

That is pretty heinous. We should all be glad that libraries are still around, period. I believe their days are numbered. And, yes, that IS a threat, libraries.

6:37 PM, April 18, 2005  
Blogger Jennifer Swanepoel said...

Scott-

Thank you for vocalizing what most of us think but are afraid to say.

My library at the college I am attending is usually very quiet...but that's only because there aren't many students in it. Everyone uses the internet to research. I still like to use the library. Many fond childhood library memories. Once a week was "library day," and Mom would take my sister and I to the library, and we could check out as many books as we wanted. When we got home, one of the shelves in the family bookcase was designated "the library shelf." We also had "the Bible shelf." Those were the good ol' days.

Sorry to take up so much of your comment space, just couldn't resist!

7:43 AM, April 24, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Support This Site Free Web Counters
Website Counter